Xbox have revealed more info on its Smart Delivery program for the Xbox Series X, coming later this year.
Smart Delivery allows for the most optimised version of a supported game to be played across the Xbox One and Xbox Series X without having to purchase an additional copy. Essentially, if you have a copy of a game on Xbox One that supports Smart Delivery and you decide to upgrade to Xbox Series X, an updated version of the game for Xbox Series X is automatically provided to you at no additional cost.
Xbox have also explained that Smart Delivery will be available to all developers, with all Xbox Games Studios titles being supported, such as Halo Infinite. Both digital and physical copies of games will have Smart Delivery support.
To further clarify how Smart Delivery functions, Xbox have provided a few scenarios on how a user will benefit from it.
- If you own Gears 5 or are loving it via Xbox Game Pass now, you can play it today on Xbox One. Then, if you pick up an Xbox Series X this holiday, all it takes is a push of a button to download it and you’ll have the Optimised version of Gears 5 – available on day 1 at launch with the console – at your fingertips.
- When Halo Infinite launches alongside Xbox Series X and Xbox One this holiday, you only have to buy the game once and you’ll get the best version for whichever console you own, or both. If you pick up Xbox Series X for your living room, Smart Delivery will recognise that and deliver you the Optimised version there. If you decide to move your existing Xbox One to a bedroom or the office, Smart Delivery will recognise that too and deliver that version when you’re playing on Xbox One.
- Lastly, some new and existing Xbox One titles will be Optimising their games after the Xbox Series X launches. For example, if you buy Cyberpunk 2077 when it launches on September 17, you’ll be set to explore Night City on Xbox One. If you pick up Xbox Series X at launch this holiday, you can play it there too in compatibility mode picking up exactly where you left off. Then, when CD PROJEKT RED delivers an Xbox Series X Optimised version of Cyberpunk 2077, you’ll automatically get upgraded once it’s available at no additional cost.
No doubt that Smart Delivery will be highly welcomed by Xbox users, as it won’t be necessary to re-purchase any games to take advantage of the features in the Xbox Series X. If a game does not have Smart Delivery support as yet, it can still be played on the Xbox Series X via backwards compability.
To top it all off, Xbox have also mentioned that all save data will transfer over from Xbox One to Xbox Series X. This effectively includes your game library, progression and entire gaming legacy.
The list of Smart Delivery supported games at Xbox Series X launch are listed below.
- Halo Infinite
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- Destiny 2
- DiRT 5
- Scarlet Nexus
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon
- The Ascent
- Call of the Sea
- Gears 5
- Second Extinction
- Metal: Hellslinger
More information about Smart Delivery can be found on the official website. Let us know what you think of Smart Delivery and whether you’re thinking of buying an Xbox Series X!