Valve have made another annoucement this week that will surely rock the gaming community with the confirmation of the previously rumoured SteamBox. The Steam Machine as named by Valve will be produced by various manufacturers, but will all run the new SteamOS revealed earlier in the week.
Valve said in their announcement.
“Entertainment is not a one-size-fits-all world, We want you to be able to choose the hardware that makes sense for you, so we are working with multiple partners to bring a variety of Steam gaming machines to market during 2014, all of them running SteamOS.”
It was also confirmed that they will release 300 beta Steam Machines to give out to lucky Steam users. For this hardware beta, Valve have sent all users on a quest of eligibilty.
THE HARDWARE BETA ELIGIBILITY QUEST:
Before October 25, log in to Steam and then visit your quest page to track your current status towards beta test eligibility
1. Join the Steam Universe community group
2. Agree to the Steam Hardware Beta Terms and Conditions
3. Make 10 Steam friends (if you haven’t already)
4. Create a public Steam Community profile (if you haven’t already)
5. Play a game using a gamepad in Big Picture mode
Valve has also promised one more announcement this week so stay tuned.